Is it Time for a Change in Business Leadership? Knowing the Qualities of a Great LeaderDecember 14, 2015
The new demands of the global marketplace have changed the face of leadership in contemporary business. This means that there are some leaders in place today who may not be as effective in their position as they once were. The key to maintaining effective leadership in any organization is knowing the qualities of a good leader and ensuring that those who are in leadership positions possess these essential traits.
Top Qualities of Great Leaders
Many leaders are competent, but that does not necessarily make them great. If you want your organization to be the best, then you need to have the best leaders. Here are some qualities that great leaders have and practice all the time:
- Awareness – Great leaders are aware of their position and the differences between their place in the company and that of employees. They do not act as if they are better than others, but they do act in a way that allows them to objectively be aware of everything going on within the organization.
- Accountability – The best leaders are accountable for their own performance as well as that of others in the company. When problems arise, they are the first to identify these issues and take the steps necessary to develop and implement successful solutions.
- Decisiveness – Leaders are the ones who have to make the tough decisions. Great leaders understand that these decisions have to be made in a timely manner and in a way that best benefits the entire organization. Leaders are firm and authoritative while also promoting collaborative decision-making.
- Confidence – Extraordinary leaders exhibit a confidence that is contagious. Other employees seek their advice and feel more confident in their own decisions as a result. These leaders know that their ideas and strategies have been carefully thought out and can defend their position or reasons when asked.
- Empathy – The best leaders exercise empathy when they encounter problems in the workplace. Rather than taking things personally or assigning blame, they will always focus on solutions and improvement to help the company move forward. Great leaders also know how to praise employees in public and address any issues in private with a genuine concern for the employee and company’s wellbeing and future.
- Inspiration – This is one of the qualities that sets a good leader apart from a great one. Excellent leaders communicate clearly and motivate others to take their abilities to the next level. They challenge employees by setting high and attainable standards and expectations, while also giving them the tools to succeed.
Signs That It May Be Time for Change
How do you know if it’s time for a change in your organization? Though there are many factors that could signal it’s time for a change in leadership, one of the biggest signs is when employees are unhappy and unmotivated. If leaders are rude, selfish, disorganized, or indecisive, this can have an effect on not only the happiness and productivity of the employees but on the company’s performance as a whole.
Is it time for a change in your organization’s leadership? It might be hard to tell. That is where a consulting firm can come in handy. Qorval’s team works with businesses just like yours to assess your current practices and make improvements that help you meet your organization’s unique goals. Contact us today for more information on how we might be of service to your company.